By Dieter Schmidt, Steven C. Schachter
From pediatric to the aged, from contractible to refractive, epilepsy is an disease that manifests in lots of kinds and throughout a number demographics. during this attention-grabbing quantity, the writer info a couple of hundred cases the place wellbeing and fitness care practitioners confronted strange demanding situations in treating the sickness. All facets of epilepsy are explored via those instances, from the occasionally complicated preliminary prognosis to sufferer responses and therapy tools. during this best-selling brief textual content, the writer additionally provides the teachings realized from those striking circumstances. a hundred and ten perplexing circumstances in Epilepsy turns out to be useful for scientific scholars, citizens and all wellbeing and fitness care practitioners, because the practices used to appreciate those instances could be utilized to different diagnoses besides.
Read or Download 110 Puzzling Cases of Epilepsy PDF
Similar neurology books
The neurocutaneous problems contain a gaggle of neurological issues that includes pores and skin lesions and infrequently eye lesions, imperative and peripheral anxious approach tumors, mind malformations, psychological retardation, and psychiatric syndromes or seizures. This publication offers an authoritative, illustrated assessment of the popularity, research, remedy and genetics of those issues.
Dementia is a nation that has implications for numerous teams. There are, first, those that desire to determine its nature and effect in an aim and clinical type, utilizing instruments of study to discover dementia's explanations, results, and parameters. the end result has been a swiftly increasing literature in varied disciplines: body structure, chemistry, neurology, psychology, and sociology, between others.
- Clinical Electrophysiology
- Textbook of Tinnitus
- Neurology for the Boards, 3rd edition
- 50 studies every neurologist should know
- Liars, Lovers, and Heroes: What the New Brain Science Reveals About How We Become Who We Are
Extra info for 110 Puzzling Cases of Epilepsy
One year later, she had a second brief seizure, also during sleep, with vomiting and ocular deviation to the right. Examination and investigations Neurological examination after recovery from the prolonged seizure was normal. Routine laboratory examinations were normal. The EEG obtained the next morning showed left occipital high-amplitude spikes that were non-reactive to eye opening. The frequency of the spikes increased during sleep (Fig. 1). Computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging scans of the brain were normal.
2. Jeavons PM, Livet MO. West syndrome: infantile spasms. In: Roger J, Bureau M, Dravet C, Dreiffus FE, Perret A, Wolf P, eds. Epileptic syndromes in infancy, childhood and adolescence 2nd ed. John Libbey; 1992:53–65. 17 Case 6 AN INFANT WITH PARTIAL SEIZURES AND INFANTILE SPASMS Catherine Chiron and Nathalie Villeneuve History A baby girl experienced infantile spasms with hypsarrhythmia at 6 months of age. Her pregnancy and psychomotor development were normal. Spasms were stopped by vigabatrin monotherapy and the hypsarrhythmia disappeared, but a right temporal focus of spikes persisted.
18. Gray F, Serdaru M, Baron H. Chronic localized encephalitis (Rasmussen’s) in an adult with epilepsia partialis continua. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1987;50:747–51. 19. Komsuoglu SS, Liman O, Gurkan H. Epilepsia partialis continua following pertussis infection. Clin Electroencephalogr 1985;16:45–7. 20. Piatt JH, Hwang PA, Armstrong DC. Chronic focal encephalitis (Rasmussen syndrome): six cases. Epilepsia 1988;29:268–79. 21. Chalk CH, McManis PG, Cascino GD. Cryptococcal meningitis manifesting as epilepsia partialis continua of the abdomen.
110 Puzzling Cases of Epilepsy by Dieter Schmidt, Steven C. Schachter